Is it the end of a trying week or the start of a good one?
Josie once believed that weeks had two Sundays – one ended the old and the other began the new. Maybe we do need an extra day – and maybe all citizens should be issued a wooden spoon, and that day could include twenty minutes of mandatory buttercream-eating. I’m sure we can all agree that at any hour, staring at cupcakes is time well-spent, and a happier way to face the seven – or is it eight? – days ahead.
Favorite Vanilla Buttercream for Cupcakes
8 oz unsalted butter, softened (two sticks)
3 cups powdered sugar, sifted
2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
In mixer bowl, use paddle attachment to beat butter until smooth, white and creamy. Gradually beat in powdered sugar, occasionally stopping to scrape down bowl, continuing until smooth and combined. Add milk and vanilla on low speed to combine, then briefly beat on high speed until fluffy and fully mixed. Use immediately or store, refrigerated, for several days.
Vanilla Buttercream Plus
When it comes to flavoring buttercream, the spatula’s the limit. Try beating in any of these additions for extra cupcake happiness.
* Orange: finely grated orange zest, plus a few tablespoon of fresh-squeezed orange juice
* Mocha: one tablespoon instant espresso, dissolved in water or Kahlua liqueur
* Berry Pink: a few tablespoons of seedless raspberry jam (pink frosting lovers, take note)
* Minty Goodness: one dozen finely chopped Andes mint chocolate candies (for pastel green color, add one drop at a time of green gel food coloring for desired shade)
* Lemon-Lime: finely grated lime zest, finely grated lemon zest and a few tablespoons Rose’s Lime Juice
<—- Looking for the world’s…uh…frostiest cupcake? Click here.